Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Introduction

Hello Readers! I am simply known as Beyonder where only friends can call me Sean as the introduction is out the way  I am a fellow "Dinosaur" Enthusiast so, I am here to discuss the huge problem in the modern era of paleontology and that is if Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers or scales I will be quoting from sources and then giving out logical given examples to them.

Feathers?

Feather supporters will boast that Yutyrannus is the main reason why and how Tyrannosaurus Rex has feathers because it was a large theropod like T-Rex and where smaller dinosaurs like Dilon and Guanlong were fuzzy and had some feathers.

So Many "Feather" supporters will give off a single argument which will be a constant with the concept of "Phylogenetic Bracketing" where majority of "Scale" supporters will not 100% take such a method as fact and I will explain such a thing in the conclusion section of this article.

What is Phylogenetic Bracketing?

Wikipedia wrote:Phylogenetic bracketing is a method of inference used in biological sciences. It is to infer the likelihood of unknown traits in organisms based on their position in a phylogenetic tree. One of the main applications of phylogenetic bracketing is on extinct animals, known only from fossils.
Example: If Dilong had feathers then by "Genetic Bracketing" so should Tyrannosaurus Rex.
Example: If Yutyrannus had Feathers then by "Genetic Bracketing" so should Tyrannosaurus Rex.

The issue with Phylogenetic Bracketing

Here is the problem with Phylogenetic bracketing it's the actual genetic difference between all three of these Dinosaurs from Location, Climate, and the overall Anatomy because these are just "Relatives" themselves. Dilong and Yutyrannus hail from China both are older than Tyrannosaurus Rex, BUT here is the big difference where Tyrannosaurus was hailing from America. Along with the fact that fossils are the basis for bracketing where Tyrannosaurus Rex has never been found with any type of protofeathers just majority of scale impressions.

Also to include skin impressions from Tarbosaurus another relative to Tyrannosaurus, Dilong, and Yutyrannus had scales on its neck and not Feathers like most thought because some paleontologists believed the "Body" was the main source for Feathers unlike the tail and feet which seem to be a new meaning of how tyrannosaurus look because if it isn't on its Neck? Leg? or Tail? then which parts did and didn't have feathers?

Something only we can sadly speculate right now and only some forms of illustration can figure out because if they had scales on the minor parts then the majority of Tyrannosaurus had overall scales then Feathers.

Scale Impressions Vs Feather Impressions

This is one of many key points for any debate (or Argument) for either sides and that's the whole factors of what evidence He or she has to have any real argument for their case.......

Image of a skin impression of the "Wyrex" tyrannosaurus dinosaur (BHI 6230). As you can see, at least this part of the Tyrannosaurus rex had no feathers, or feather like structures.
FossilGuy wrote:Since the discovery of feathered dinosaurs in the 1990's, it has become clear that many families of theropod dinosaurs had feathers, or at least, primitive feather like structures (protofeathers). Well known theropods such as velociraptor and microraptor had protofeathers. Tyrannosaurus is a very large theropod, so could it have also had feathers? To answer this question, one needs to look at the Tyrannosaur family and see if any of its relatives had feathers.

As it turns out, in 2004, a theropod named Dilong paradoxus was discovered in China (Xu X. et al 2004). Dilong, a small 1.6 m theropod, was found to be covered in protofeathers; the "feathers" looked like hair like strands (Xu X. et al 2004). Dilong is also considered to be a distant member of the Tyrannosaurid family that lived 65 million years before T. rex. This means protofeathers are present in Tyrannosaurus' family tree.

Later, in 2012, Xu X. described another nearly complete feathered Tyrannosaur relative named Yutyrannus huali (Beautiful Feathered Tyrant). This theropod is a little younger in age, about 125 million years old, and is more closely related to T. rex than Dilong. What's interesting about Yutyrannus is that it's 30 foot in length. Although it's still smaller than T. rex, it's the largest feathered theropod yet discovered. The simple feathers on Yutyrannus are not well preserved, but they are up to 8 inches long and may have covered most of the body (Xu X. et al, 2012). This discovery showed that even large theropods could have feathers, or feather like structures.

However, as tantalizing as it is, one cannot conclude that T. rex had protofeathers. A well preserved T. rex specimen found in 2002 named "Wyrex" (BHI 6230) was found with some small associated skin impressions. The impressions clearly show scales; no feather or hair like structures are seen. In places on the body where Yutyrannus showed feather structures, T. rex only showed scales. So, it can be concluded that T. rex was not covered in protofeathers.

One difference between Yutyrannus and T. rex is the climate in which they lived. Yutyrannus is from China and lived in a colder climate with harsh winters (Amiot et al., 2011). Many dinosaurs in that region had filaments and other protofeather like structures (Amiot et al., 2011). Perhaps Yutyrannus needed protofeathers for insulation, whereas T. rex did not. This does not rule out the possibility that T. rex supported feathers in only certain areas, or that juveniles had feather structures, but lost them as they aged. More specimens are required before this question can be fully answered.
See Full Article: FossilGuy Tyrannosaurus

to quote a famous paleontologist........
Jack Horner wrote:To teach the youths the dangers of making assumptions in science without using evidence.

This was during his debate on Tyrannosaurus being a Hunter or Scavenger which turned out that Tyrannosaurus Rex was both but majority was a primarily Hunter but if the opportunity came it would Scavenge. (But that's not that DEBATE so back on topic.)

Anatomy






Dilong and yutyrannus had 3 fingers and long arms unlike it's American relatives.......
Argument: They lost it because the arm's was useless and it had a major bite force that was it's main weapon.
Counter-Argument: If this was 100% evolution then why de-evolve into something with useless arms?.....

The difference within these 3 different dinosaurs is that well Dilong and yutyrannus looks NOTHING close to a Tyrannosaurus some will even agree it looks like a Massive Dromaeosauridae you know like a raptor missing its their long claws on their feet.Now that might be a open theory and possible aspect but the same can be said for misclassifications but that's another debate for another day.

Probability?






America Museum of Natural History wrote:A feathered T. rex? Probably so--at least when the animals were young. Paleontologists think feathers may have first evolved to keep dinosaurs warm. But while a young T. rex probably had a thin coat of downy feathers, an adult T. rex would not have needed feathers to stay warm. Large warm-blooded animals--like T. rex or modern elephants--generate a great deal of body heat so they usually don't need hair or feathers to keep warm. This is probably why elephants, which are mammals, don't have much hair.

Smithsonian wrote:Paleontologists have long debated this. A string of studies in the past decade have pointed to the potential widespread presence of either feathers or fuzz-like proto-feathers in dinosaur species. In 2012, paleontologists found that a T. rex relative, Yutyrannus huali, had filamentous feathers. If a relative had feathers, why not the king of reptiles itself?

Until a specimen is found with preserved imprints of feathers, though, the jury is out. “We have some opportunity to know if they had feathers because we can find impressions,” says Matthew Carrano curator of dinosaurs at the National Museum of Natural History.


Discover Magazine wrote:The tyrants we know and love only appeared at the very end of the Cretaceous. By that time, they had developed many special traits including teeth like “knife-edged bananas”, huge hips, running feet, tiny forearms, and massive bone-crushing skulls. And they had lost their feathers, or so we thought. “The assumption has been that T. rex and its gigantic kin were scaly, not feathery, and there is some (rather sketchy) fossil evidence that this might be true,” says Witmer.

The idea also made sense because large mammals, like elephants and rhinos, are virtually hairless. Their huge bodies lose heat very slowly, and they don’t need the insulation that their smaller cousins do. If super-sized mammals lost their fur, it stands to reason that super-sized tyrannosaurs lost their feathers. Yutyrannus shows that this isn’t necessarily true.

Xu speculates that Yutyrannus’s feathers might have been a winter coat. While most giant tyrannosaurs enjoyed warm climates during the late Cretaceous, Yutyrannus lived at a time when the average yearly temperature was a nippy 10 degrees Celsius. Maybe it was the tyrannosaur equivalent of woolly mammoths and woolly rhinos, whose shaggy coats protected them during the Ice Age. “The idea of woolly tyrannosaurs stalking colder climates in the Cretaceous is kinda mind-blowing,” says Witmer.

So could T.rex also have been covered in feathers? Paul Sereno from the University of Chicago thinks so. “In my lab, I have a T. rex fossil that shows the beast did not have scales,” he says. “But it’s only in China that we have the opportunity to see evidence of what replaced scales – feathers! The report is a red flag to Hollywood and some scientists who get wobbly legs thinking something as ferocious as T. rex might have been packaged with a soft downy overcoat. You’ll now be able to date any Hollywood film that does not give these brutes their feathery due!”

Admittedly, there’s no direct evidence for a feathery T.rex yet. “[Yutyrannus] doesn’t put the nail in the coffin on the debate over the body covering of T.rex, but it definitely weakens the argument that the tyrant-king couldn’t have had feathers,” says Zanno.

The problem is that none of the large tyrants was found in the right conditions. “Most T. rex skeletons were found buried in sandstone or siltstone. Both sand and silt are too coarse to record the presence of feathers even when they are there,” says Holtz. “But Yutyrannus was found in extremely fine sediments derived from volcanic ash and deposited in very still water: the perfect condition for preserving feathers.” Perhaps somewhere, there’s a fuzzy T.rex that died in just the right conditions and is waiting to be found.

As stated by numerous articles its just simple a Probability/Possibility of a tyrannosaurus having somewhat Feathers, but like most paleontologists they will use the most known terms as likely and possible because they can't 100% say that "Yes T-Rex had feathers!" because they don't have ANY evidence to back it up with current findings so the current community has their share of civil war over such a debate.

As stated by discovermagazine until a feather tyrannosaurus rex fossils surface it won't be Yutyrannus who puts this debate to rest because again different locations,climate, and even soil can be the cause but even still evidence is needed for such hypothesis.

Theories?

So numerous theories have been created by multiple paleontologists and communities.

Smithsonian wrote:If a tyrannosauroid had feathers, and almost every other lineage closely related to the tyrannosauroids had feathers, then even Tyrannosaurus rex might have been at least partly coated in plumage. Giant tyrannosaurs with feathers was a respectable idea, but there was no direct evidence. In North America, at least, tyrannosaurs were not entombed in the kind of environments with the high-fidelity preservation potential for feathers to make it into the fossil record. And, while they have frustratingly never been published, rumored specimens of tyrannosaur skin have hinted that adult animals had naked hides. Maybe tyrannosaur chicks were fluffy while adults, no longer needing an insulating coat, lost their feathers.

Smithsonian theory is basically that the babies had feathers and when adulthood came in it had dropped the feathers and were scale tyrannosaurus so its probability but sadly no baby tyrannosaurus fossils have been found with such feather impressions to back up such a claim.

Another theory is that well the adults develop the feathers and the babies were born with scales but not even scale impressions can also help support this theory.

Conclusion?

The Majority, of the research given heavily indicates that Tyrannosaurus Rex didn't in fact have Feathers and much of the evidence given does give a possibility that does support that Tyrannosaurus Rex Probably did have feathers either when it was a hatching and lost it when it went into adulthood OR that it had it on "Selective" parts of its body, but sadly evidence doesn't lie because one of the main principles of science is "Evidence" and if you have no evidence your arguments and research holds no meaning because its you making a assumption that is heavily biased,inaccurate, and false.

1. If a Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil DOES show up with feathers then yes 100% the scale supporters were wrong all along.
2. If a Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil DOES show up with scales then yes 100% the feather supporters were wrong all along.

So I will repeat the same above there is majority of evidence supporting more of the concept of scales then feathers so neither side is actually right or wrong.

My Opinion



Warning: This is simply MY OPINION not 100% FACT!

I believe in evidence over any assumption because if you don't have evidence to your argument then why debate? why not just come to a civil solution and drop it because it's all indefinite answers no matter which side you are on and if people are going to say something about this debate so just ignore the ignorance and do your research before any such debate or argument begins.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:14 pm

We have found feathers in both Saurischians and Ornithiscians. For T. rex to just randomly have no feathers at all is highly unlikely. It's certainly possible, but to say "No feathers were found, so it probably didn't have feathers" is a bit absurd and seems a bit biased.

Also, you seem to have a very, very poor grasp on what evidence actually is. You can't just dismiss everything that is not direct evidence with "wah that's not real evurdence!" You may as well say the Earth has no core because we've found no direct evidence of that. It's not an assumption, it's an inference.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:17 pm

@Nuclearshroom wrote:We have found feathers in both Saurischians and Ornithiscians. For T. rex to just randomly have no feathers at all is highly unlikely. It's certainly possible, but to say "No feathers were found, so it probably didn't have feathers" is a bit absurd and seems a bit biased.

Also, you seem to have a very, very poor grasp on what evidence actually is. You can't just dismiss everything that is not direct evidence with "wah that's not real evurdence!" You may as well say the Earth has no core because we've found no direct evidence of that. It's not an assumption, it's an inference.
Logically speaking you can't say Tyrannosaurus Rex probably did just by Likelihood of some Genetics bracketing without any physical evidence backing up your argument or claims as stated in the post there has been more "Evidence" of there being scales then feathers ever found in any tyrannosaurus fossils be it legs or tails.

Also i don't have any very poor grasp of what actual evidence and lets not be hostile here we shouldn't say or tell others what they do and don't know because that's subjective bias and I have linked articles to support my arguments here with the same of them "Probably" and or "Likely" had them none confirming "Yes they did have feathers."
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:26 am

@Beyonder wrote:
Logically speaking you can't say Tyrannosaurus Rex probably did just by Likelihood of some Genetics bracketing without any physical evidence backing up your argument or claims as stated in the post there has been more "Evidence" of there being scales then feathers ever found in any tyrannosaurus fossils be it legs or tails.
Yes, yes we can. If all dinosaurs have feathers as an ancestral trait, T. rex automatically has it as an ancestral trait. And creatures don't lose skin coverings over night, and since fairly recent ancestors to Tyrannosaurus had feathers, it's the most likely conclusion that it probably did have feathers (obviously, we can't know 100%. Even if we found feathered skin coverings of a T. rex, for all we know, aliens might have come down and stuck feathers in the mud, but that's besides the current point). Also, it's interesting you mention the legs and tail, since those areas are known to be scaly in almost all dinosaurs, even birds have scaly feet. I also find it somewhat humourous you keep hammering in the same point over, and over, and over, and over again.

@Beyonder wrote:Also i don't have any very poor grasp of what actual evidence and lets not be hostile here we shouldn't say or tell others what they do and don't know because that's subjective bias and I have linked articles to support my arguments here with the same of them "Probably" and or "Likely" had them none confirming "Yes they did have feathers."
Of course we don't know for sure (as I mentioned on the top of this response). But to say "That's not real evidence because it's not direct" is ridiculous.

And while you didn't actually make this point in this response, I figured I'd point out one of the issues in your original post. My, my, you love to use argumentative fallacies, don't you? Arguments from authority, I see. Just because an expert or two think something doesn't make it true.
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 am

@Nuclearshroom wrote:
Yes, yes we can. If all dinosaurs have feathers as an ancestral trait, T. rex automatically has it as an ancestral trait. And creatures don't lose skin coverings over night, and since fairly recent ancestors to Tyrannosaurus had feathers, it's the most likely conclusion that it probably did have feathers (obviously, we can't know 100%. Even if we found feathered skin coverings of a T. rex, for all we know, aliens might have come down and stuck feathers in the mud, but that's besides the current point). Also, it's interesting you mention the legs and tail, since those areas are known to be scaly in almost all dinosaurs, even birds have scaly feet. I also find it somewhat humourous you keep hammering in the same point over, and over, and over, and over again.
But you see here is the issue with that Tarbosaurus had a scales going along it's back including the neck area......proving no it's not any kind or type of "Automatic" ancestral trait. Also no....Those are recent "Relatives" not "Ancestors" and yes because there is no other point to make because we have no fossil data of any tyrannosaurus rex having feathers this is all speculation even as stated in the link articles they repeat it's "likely" and or "Possible" not a direct "Yes" or a confirmation by any paleontologists.

I used the "Feet" and "Tails" as an example but even still high evidence of "Scales" have been given over the years with no single trace of any feather impressions.

@Nuclearshroom wrote:
And while you didn't actually make this point in this response, I figured I'd point out one of the issues in your original post. My, my, you love to use argumentative fallacies, don't you? Arguments from authority, I see. Just because an expert or two think something doesn't make it true.
If this is a "Argumentative Fallacy" then you are using "Argument from ignorance".....also "An" no....MANY experts state the same thing read the articles not ONCE have they ever stated that T-Rex had feathers in any of them I have read them myself they possibly think the babies had feathers but lost them due to maturity and or that Trex evolved into feathers due to the climate they were in all these are speculations like any dinosaur illustration given but like I said in the post until actual evidence is shown it's all for debate so if it had scale then scale supporters were right the entire time and that feather supporters were wrong all along but if it had feathers through fossil evidence then scales were wrong and feather supporters were right.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:24 pm

This is actually a bit hilarious.

@Nuclearshroom wrote:
Obviously, we can't know 100%. Even if we found feathered skin coverings of a T. rex, for all we know, aliens might have come down and stuck feathers in the mud.

Of course we don't know for sure (as I mentioned on the top of this post).

You seem to have skipped over some parts of my post.
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:52 pm

@Nuclearshroom wrote:This is actually a bit hilarious.

@Nuclearshroom wrote:
Obviously, we can't know 100%. Even if we found feathered skin coverings of a T. rex, for all we know, aliens might have come down and stuck feathers in the mud.

Of course we don't know for sure (as I mentioned on the top of this post).

You seem to have skipped over some parts of my post.
I saw it lol couldn't really reply to such a comment.


Last edited by Beyonder on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm

You could have at least acknowledged it though. Your response to that post was composed almost entirely of "we don't know for sure" despite me saying this.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:07 pm

@Nuclearshroom wrote:You could have at least acknowledged it though. Your response to that post was composed almost entirely of "we don't know for sure" despite me saying this.
but how can you reply to such a comment? lol and I know this but people always make it out to seem Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers and been confirmed through fossil evidence and what not that's what this post is trying to show that no such evidence exist but only in the genetic "Arguments"
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:09 pm

@Beyonder wrote:
@Nuclearshroom wrote:You could have at least acknowledged it though. Your response to that post was composed almost entirely of "we don't know for sure" despite me saying this.
but how can you reply to such a comment? lol and I know this but people always make it out to seem Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers and been confirmed through fossil evidence.
By not acting as though I said this when I had clearly not.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:12 pm

@Nuclearshroom wrote:
@Beyonder wrote:
@Nuclearshroom wrote:You could have at least acknowledged it though. Your response to that post was composed almost entirely of "we don't know for sure" despite me saying this.
but how can you reply to such a comment? lol and I know this but people always make it out to seem Tyrannosaurus Rex had feathers and been confirmed through fossil evidence.
By not acting as though I said this when I had clearly not.
So why say I have a very slow grasp at what "Evidence" if we both agree? you kinda went aggressive on me about that.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Not entirely. Though you're not acting like that now, you were talking earlier as if it didn't count whatsoever if it wasn't direct, rather than simply being iffy on it.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 pm

I never implied it didn't matter lol but basically stated you can't hold a base argument just because of "Genetics" but the need for physical evidence.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Perhaps not intentionally, but one can give implicactions without ever intending them.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:19 pm

Understandable.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:52 am

Going back and reading this discussion...

You said this: "But you see here is the issue with that Tarbosaurus had a scales going along it's back including the neck area." I am actually interested in this, perhaps you could provide a source, to allow for my better research of this topic.

However, you also said:
@Beyonder wrote:"You are using "Arguments from ignorance."

First off, let's get a good understanding of what an argument from ignorance is:

"Argument from ignorance (from Latin: argumentum ad ignorantiam), also known as appeal to ignorance (in which ignorance represents "a lack of contrary evidence"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option, which is that there may have been an insufficient investigation, and therefore there is insufficient information to prove the proposition be either true or false. Nor does it allow the admission that the choices may in fact not be two (true or false), but may be as many as four,

1. true
2. false
3. unknown between true or false
4. being unknowable (among the first three).[1]
In debates, appeals to ignorance are sometimes used in an attempt to shift the burden of proof." -Wikipedia

This debate is, of course, currently the third option.

As a response to this accusation, I find it to be a terrible one. Never once did I say anything remotely close to "you can't prove me wrong, so I'm right." What I did do was present evidence for the likely hood of feathers, and then make rebuttals to your rebuttals to said evidence. You seem to have (or had) the idea that any arguments for the likely hood of something that can't be proven 100% are automatically arguments from ignorance, which simply is not the case. If we make so that any and all arguments for a claim that can't be proven 100% are arguments from ignorance, we inevitably (if unintentionally) make it so that all currently unproven or un-provable claims are immediately discarded as false, which is in itself an appeal to ignorance.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:07 am

Oh god lol going back from march!
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:37 am

This time I've only A. Asked for a source to one claim. Not as a "citation needed" type argument but out of genuine interest.

And B. Defended myself from one claim I felt was unjustified.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:05 am

Although, I do like this quote of mine: "If we make so that any and all arguments for a claim that can't be proven 100% are arguments from ignorance, we inevitably (if unintentionally) make it so that all currently unproven or un-provable claims are immediately discarded as false, which is in itself an appeal to ignorance."

I probably seem like a narcissist, but it's honestly pretty good.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:33 am

Oh I see the narcissist rn....
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Haha. But really, I'd like to see that source.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 am

Tarbosaurus Skin impressions were recovered from a skeleton at Bugiin Tsav that was previously destroyed by poachers. Evidence 1

Foot Prints Article:The First Late Cretaceous Footprints from the Nemegt Locality in the Gobi of Mongolia

I am looking for more of the article about the neck/back scales.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Interesting.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Beyonder on Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:40 pm

Wait it was the 1st link they mentioned its back area having large scale impressions.
avatar
Beyonder
Founder
Founder

Posts : 175
Reputation : 2
Join date : 2016-10-20
Age : 20
Location : USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Nuclearshroom on Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:33 pm

@Beyonder wrote:Wait it was the 1st link they mentioned its back area having large scale impressions.
Nice job. But that first link it kind of messed up anyways.

_________________
avatar
Nuclearshroom
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 78
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2016-10-30
Location : N/A

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Debate: Did Tyrannosaurus Rex have Scales or Feathers?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum